Although chiropractors can help many other conditions, pain is one of the most common reasons people visit a chiropractor. When you come in for pain relief, our goal is to quickly find the root of the problem and start working to correct the problem. Pain of any kind is a signal that something’s amiss. Some people silence their symptoms with a pain reliever and ignore the message. But that would be like removing the battery to quiet a smoke detector!
Two Common Causes:
- The nerve-rich facet joints on the back side of each spinal bone are a common cause of back pain. The pain can be a sign these interlocking “fingers” aren’t moving right.
- The discs between spinal bones can be involved, too. Trauma can cause the soft, pulpy material in the middle to bulge, putting pressure on nearby nerves.
We’ve helped many people with safe and natural chiropractic care. However, other choices include:
- Ignore it (Spinal problems may worsen.)
- Bed rest (May prolong the problem.)
- Therapy (Stresses malfunctioning joints.)
- Medicine (Numbs the body.)
- Surgery (The most serious last resort.)
- Contracted leg test
- Click here to take this simple contracted leg test.
- The Chiropractic Approach
Specific chiropractic adjustments can help improve spinal function. By restoring the way your spine functions, discs and soft tissues may heal, nerve involvement may be diminshed, pain can ease and better stability can return.
Frequently Asked Questions
Isn’t some back pain normal?
Pain of any kind, at any age, is a sign that something is amiss. Pain is the way your body signals that a limit has been reached or a problem has developed. Since we can adapt, minor aches and pains are often ignored. While they may go away, if the underlying problem remains unattended, the problem may slowly worsen until it becomes more difficult and expensive to resolve.
What about muscle relaxers?
First, chiropractors don’t dispense drugs. We rely on natural methods. When properly applied, ice can have an analgesic effect without the unwanted effects associated with some pain medications.
How does chiropractic work?
Chiropractic works because you are a self-healing, self-regulating organism controlled by your nervous system. Millions of instructions flow from your brain, down the spinal cord, and out to every organ and tissue. Signals sent back to the brain confirm if the body is working correctly. Improper motion or position of the moving bones of the spine can interfere with this vital exchange by irritating nerves and compromising the function of affected organs and tissues. Specific spinal adjustments are designed to improve mind/body communications. Health often returns with improved nervous system control of the body.